Comments from Kratos’ voice actor point to another God Of War game being revealed this year but don’t expect an Egyptian sequel.
It’s been nearly four years since God Of War Ragnarök and yet the inevitable sequel feels further away than ever. Just last week, series developer Santa Monica Studio shadow-dropped prequel game, Sons Of Sparta (which is primarily made by another studio) and announced that full remakes of all three original Greek era God Of War games are currently in development.
Those remakes are likely still years away from ever coming out and if Santa Monica is the lead developer on those (something that’s not been made clear), that’s too much of an undertaking to also juggle a dedicated sequel.
And yet, it’s rumoured that Santa Monica will be announcing another new game later this year; one that could launch in 2027 or 2028. Its identity remains a mystery but recent comments, including ones from Kratos himself, point to it being some kind of new God Of War spin-off.
Recently, Twitch streamer and YouTuber Fuzhpuzy spoke with Christopher Judge, who did the voicework and motion capture for Kratos in the modern God Of War games, while at a convention, where she asked him about the recently announced remakes.
While it was quite apparent anyway, Judge confirmed he will not be voicing Kratos in the remakes (T.C. Carson, the previous voice actor, will be reprising the role, just as he does in Sons Of Sparta), but he also said, ‘You will hear about what we’re doing probably late summer.’
Expert, exclusive gaming analysis
Sign up to the GameCentral newsletter for a unique take on the week in gaming, alongside the latest reviews and more. Delivered to your inbox every Saturday morning.
We couldn’t find the original clip on YouTube, but it’s been shared around on X and considering Judge isn’t visible and you only hear his (very distinctive) voice, it’s possible he didn’t know he was being recorded at the time.
Whatever the case, Judge seems to be referring to Santa Monica’s next game, with the summer reveal lining up with what other reliable insiders have claimed. And if he’s involved, the obvious assumption is that he’s voicing Kratos again, pointing to a new God Of War game.
So, does that mean the Ragnarök sequel is actually closer to coming out than the remakes? Not necessarily, according to insider Ashhong; someone who has claimed to have knowledge of Santa Monica’s next game in the past and has implied it won’t be based on a new IP and nor is it a licensed game.
It not being a new IP has also been claimed by Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier, who added that Ashhong ‘knows what they’re talking about’ last year.
More recently, on ResetEra, when someone said that 2027 would be the perfect time to release a new mainline God Of War game, Ashhong replied with, ‘Don’t hold your breath.’
Don’t miss Gaming news! Add us as a Preferred Source
As a loyal GameCentral reader, we want to make sure you never miss our articles when searching for gaming stories. We have all the latest video games news, reviews, previews, and interviews, with a vibrant community of highly engaged readers.
Click here and tick Metro.co.uk to ensure you see stories from us first in Google Search.
The most likely explanation for all these rumours is that Santa Monica’s next game is God Of War related, but it’s another spin-off like Sons Of Sparta, which could point to it having a different gameplay style. This would line up with Schreier’s comment about how the game is ‘not a new IP but it might feel like one.’
Maybe it’ll be an Atreus solo adventure, with Kratos only making a cameo appearance? Atreus’ playable appearances in the last game felt like Santa Monica testing the waters for a spin-off, which the ending also seemed to imply. It could also serve as a bridge game to build up to the next sequel, whether it’s set in the constantly rumoured Egypt or somewhere else.
There’s also a small possibility that the game isn’t God Of War related at all. Kratos is Judge’s most prominent video game role, but Santa Monica could very well have cast him in a new role for something else.
Judge clearly has a close working relationship with the studio, as evidenced by how Santa Monica and Sony decided to delay God Of War Ragnarök to accommodate for his surgery and rehab rather than recast Kratos.
Whatever it ends up being, you should find out later this year, likely at another State of Play around August or September time (Summer Game Fest in June doesn’t seem to line-up with Judge’s mention of ‘late summer’); just don’t expect a traditional God Of War sequel.
Email gamecentral@metro.co.uk, leave a comment below, follow us on Twitter.
To submit Inbox letters and Reader’s Features more easily, without the need to send an email, just use our Submit Stuff page here.
For more stories like this, check our Gaming page.

